Toddler Dies After Drinking Acid

An 18-month-old boy died in agony after drinking a glass of acid his mum had been using to clean the toilet.

Victim Muhammet Ala had apparently mistaken the clear liquid for a glass of water, according to local media in the city of Kepez, in Antalya province, Turkey, on the evening of Wednesday, 18th January.

Mum Hatice Ala rushed her son to Kepez State Hospital by ambulance but he died soon after.

The boy’s mother had taken the glass of acid from a container in the family greenhouse and had been using it to clean the toilet.

Photo shows Muhammet Ala, undated. He allegedly died after drinking acid in Kepez, Antalya, Turkey, Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023. (Newsflash)

The Syrian national Muhammet had drunk the deadly liquid on 18th January without his mother knowing.

At first, nothing seemed to be wrong but after a while, he began to cry.

His horrified mum called the emergency services after realising the glass of acid was empty.

The boy’s body was sent for an autopsy before being released to his family so they can bury him.

It is unknown what type of acid it was, but hydrochloric acid is commonly used in Turkey for cleaning purposes.

Police have opened an investigation into the child’s death.

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Joseph GolderSub-EditorMarija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.


We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter