Two-Year-Old’s Fight For Life After Swallowing Battery

A toddler is fighting for his life after he swallowed a battery, which exploded inside him, burning his oesophagus, say medics in Mexico.

Little Dylan Alejandro, aged two, swallowed the battery at his home in Cananea, Sonora State, north-western Mexico last month.

Dylan poses in an undated photo. He was admitted to a hospital, seriously ill with a burn to the oesophagus and lung infection, after ingesting a battery in Cananea, Sonora, Mexico. (Veronica Romero/Newsflash)

His family took him to a local hospital after noticing he was struggling to breathe. It was there that they were told he had swallowed a battery.

From the hospital, he was transferred to another hospital in the state capital, Hermosillo.

Mum-of-eight Nayeli Guadalupe Coronado Nino, told local media how her son Dylan suffered an oesophageal burn and an infection in one of his lungs after the battery burst inside him.

He was admitted to intensive care on 23rd October and medics say his blood is no longer processing oxygen.

Local media reported that surgeons can only operate on him when his oxygen levels are more stable.

Dylan’s family is asking for financial help online, as they do not have health insurance.


To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: William McGeeSub-EditorMarija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

GET THE NEW STORIE ON TIME!!!!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter