A seven-year-old boy choked to death after biting a balloon which burst in his mouth sending a piece of rubber flying into his throat.
Victim Alessandro Di Lorenzo Antinori – who had Down’s Syndrome – had been playing when he bit into the inflated balloon on Friday, 24th February.
As it exploded – in the village of Ghizzole di Montegaldella, in the province of Vicenza, in the Veneto region of northern Italy – a piece of rubber flew back in his mouth, blocking his windpipe, according to local media.
His horrified grandmother tried to revive him while waiting for paramedics but he died in hospital two days later, after being declared brain dead in a coma.
His parents – named as dad Luca Di Lorenzo and mother Carla Antinori – have agreed to donate his kidneys so that their son, who they adopted as a five-month-old baby, can live on.
Alessandro’s aunt Tonia is quoted in local media saying on Wednesday, 1st March: “It is the will of mother Carla and father Luca to be able to offer Alessandro’s school a defibrillator.
“Furthermore, at the funeral that will take place today in the parish church of Ghizzole at 3 pm, instead of flowers, donations will be collected for school activities in memory of Alessandro.”
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.