Ref Airlifted By Helicopter After Player KOs Him

This is the moment a player brutally knocks out a referee after receiving a red card and the official later had to be transported to a hospital by helicopter.

The incident occurred in the Kreisliga match in Germany between the FSV Munster and TV Semd played in the city of Munster located in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in western Germany on Sunday 27th October.

Video Credit: Golders

Twenty-eight-year-old footballer Hayri G. received a second booking from referee Niels C., 22, in the 85th minute and was given his marching orders.

The video shows the moment Niels C. takes out the red card and while still raising his hand high in the air Hayri G. is seen brutally punching the referee in the face. The official crashes to the turf as onlookers gasp.

After throwing the vicious punch Hayri G. is seen running from the scene as other players walk towards the referee.

Local media report Niels C. was unconscious immediately after receiving the punch but regained consciousness shortly after.

Credit: Golders
The moment a player knocks out a referee after receiving a yellow-red card

He was transported to a hospital by helicopter where tests were conducted to see the extent of the injury. Niels C. reportedly does not have brain damage but has language difficulties.

His specific injuries are unclear.

The score was 2-0 in favour of the visitors at the time however the match was suspended after the incident took place.

The league director Theo Greiner told local media: “This is absolutely unacceptable and of course extremely regrettable.”

He went on to say “this worries me a lot” assuring he hopes an “exemplary punishment” is given to the footballer.

Credit: Golders
The moment a player knocks out a referee after receiving a yellow-red card

No reports have been made of an open investigation or possible prison time.

The incident comes after the Berlin Football Federation (BFV) cancelled all matches in the Berlin-Liga, the highest league of football exclusively in the German capital and sixth tier of German football.

The matches were cancelled after the league’s referees announced they were going on strike for the weekend due to a spike in violence against referees after 53 incidents have been reported this season alone.

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By:  Juan Mayes Sub-Editor: Joseph Golder, Agency: Golder’s News And Sport

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.



We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter