A six-year-old boy has died after reportedly consuming a glass of Monster Energy drink.
The tragic incident took place when the youngster was visiting his grandma’s house in Matamoros, north-eastern Mexico, on 16th April.
According to reports, young Francisco Cervantes saw a glass on the table filled with Monster Energy – an energy drink – and gulped it down to quench his thirst.
He immediately began to experience discomfort and was taken by his relatives to the local Alfredo Pumarejo Hospital.
After admission, he was diagnosed with intoxication and, later, brain death.
He spent six days hospitalised in a coma, as his mother, Jessica, initially refused to allow him to be disconnected from his artificial life support machine.
The bereaved mum was later quoted as saying: “I thank all those who came to offer us their support. Unfortunately my son couldn’t take it anymore. Right now we’re going to see about the funeral expenses to give him his Christian burial.”
Various health professionals and services, including the NHS, advise that young children should not consume energy drinks, which are often high in caffeine and sugar.
It was not reported if young Francisco had any known pre-existing health conditions.
As reported in a 2019 study, the US Food and Drug Administration said there had been 34 deaths attributed into energy drinks, thus warranting investigation into their safety.
The study, titled ‘Impact of High Volume Energy Drink Consumption on Electrocardiographic and Blood Pressure Parameters: A Randomized Trial’, reported that “[e]nergy drink consumption has been associated with cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, spontaneous coronary dissection, and coronary vasospasm”.
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: William McGee, Sub-Editor: Michael Leidig, Agency: Newsflash
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.