A 12-year-old boy has been electrocuted after using electrical wire to fly a kite under a high-voltage power line in a tragedy that also cut off electricity to the local community for several hours.
The incident took place in the municipality of Guaranesia in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais on 2nd September.
According to the police, residents said the power in the area fell at around 8.30am, which is when the young victim, named Adrian Chaves Lamin, would have received the fatal shock.
At the time of the incident, the boy was home alone and went out to play with his kite in a nearby field.
One of the boy’s brothers arrived home at around 11am and noticed Adrian was not around.
Shortly afterwards, the boys’ father arrived at the family farm and went looking for Adrian on the property.
The police said the father found his son lying dead in the field with burn marks on his body.
Alongside the boy’s body was the line to his kite, reportedly made of metal wire wrapped in nylon coating and normally used on electric fences to keep livestock contained.
According to the police, the boy probably flew his kite into a power line and was electrocuted.
The police were alerted to the incident at around 12.30pm and found the boy already dead by the time they arrived on the scene.
Social services in Guaranesia said they are providing support to the devastated family and are also helping with the funeral arrangements.
The young victim was buried in the municipal cemetery on 3rd September.
Social services will continue to provide support to the family as the police continue their investigation.
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Lee Bullen, Sub-Editor: James King, Agency: Newsflash
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.