Three young children including a baby have died after eating instant noodles while visiting family members.
The victims have been named as Sinothando Ngwendu, 11, Olwam Ngwendu, 7, and four-month-old Athenkosi Ngwendu from the township of Motherwell in the South African state of Eastern Cape.
The youngsters died after eating instant noodles, bought from an informal convenience store, while visiting their grandparents in the township of New Brighton, also in Eastern Cape, according to the local police.
After the meal, the children complained of stomach cramps and sickness. They all reportedly died on their way to hospital in different cars.
Police spokesperson Priscilla Naidu said: “They stayed over (in New Brighton) and on Sunday the 11-year-old girl went to the shop and bought a packet of noodles. She then cooked it and the three children ate it before leaving to go back to Motherwell.”
The two eldest children, who were cousins, complained of stomach cramps and were being taken to a clinic in Motherwell when they passed away, according to the news site The Citizen.
Meanwhile, the baby, who was Olwam’s sibling, also passed away while being taken to hospital in a different car.
The police said autopsies were being carried out on the victims’ bodies to determine the exact cause of death.
The investigation is ongoing.
Last month, 37 people had to be taken to hospital with suspected food poisoning after eating a selection of food for a community event in the Cape Town suburb of Seawinds in Western Cape.
The group was treated for sickness and nausea at the scene before being taken to nearby health centres for emergency care.
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.