An ultra-spicy tortilla chip blamed for the death of a 14-year-old boy has been recalled by its manufacturers after they were threatened with criminal charges.
The lethal One Chip Challenge snack, which came packed in a cardboard coffin, has been blamed for a worldwide outbreak of terrifying health emergencies in teenagers.
In America, victim Harris Wolobah’s family say he died following medical complications after eating just a single chip.
The snack is made with two of the hottest chillies in the world – the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper.
A viral challenge instructs followers to eat one chip and then rates them for how long they can go before having to quench the heat.
Only those who make it to an hour are declared macho ‘Apex Predators’.
Now Czech-based makers ‘KKB Sweets and More’ have recalled the snack across Germany after a string of teens suffered violent reactions to the chips.
Germany’s consumer protection officials revealed that the makers had been told they could face criminal charges if they kept them on the shelves.
A statement to the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety from the company read: “For the purpose of preventive criminal protection, ‘KKB Sweets and More’ owner Alwin Basin is recalling the following product from the Hot-Chip s.r.o. brand, Hot Chip Challenge, 3g.
“The examinations of the chips revealed different, sometimes extremely high capsaicin contents.
“Consumption can lead to health effects such as irritation of the skin and mucous membranes, nausea, vomiting, or circulatory problems.
“Consumers who have purchased this product should not consume it and are requested to return it as soon as possible. They will receive a written message.
“We regret the incident and apologise to all our valued customers for the inconvenience.”
The consumer agency shared the statement on 27th November.
The chips, measuring about two million on the Scoville heat scale, is about 400 times spicier than Tabasco sauce or a jalapeno pepper.
Each EUR 10 pack, with a skull on the front, also contained a protective latex glove, a sticker, and a discount card for friends.
The ‘One Chip Challenge’ was originally created by American brand Paqui in 2016.
It spread like wildfire over social media, with countless videos showing people taking part in the ordeal.
Five young people who had eaten the chip were admitted to the Virchow Hospital in Berlin, Germany, with shortness of breath, high blood pressure, and stomach pains.
One of them, who had a previous medical condition, only recovered after he was admitted to an intensive care unit.
Consumer Protection Minister Priska Hinz, 64, warned that the product must not end up in the hands of children and said: “Health protection comes first.”
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.