At least 75 animals have died in a fire at a pet boarding centre.
The fire broke out at the Ponderosa Pet Resort in the city of Georgetown in the US state of Texas at 11.05 pm on Saturday, 18th September.
The local fire brigade was called to the scene, where firemen were met with smoke and fire.
At least 75 animals are thought to have lost their lives in the blaze as a result of smoke inhalation.
No humans were in the building at the moment of the blaze, as staff are known to vacate the premises at night, in line with the boarding centre’s policies.
Newlywed couple Don and Pam Richard, who lost their young pet dogs, Bunny and Clyde, in the blaze, have now launched a petition to campaign against animals under professional care being left unattended.
It is not yet clear how the blaze started or if the building had sprinklers inside. However, Georgetown Fire Department Chief John Sullivan noted that sprinklers would not normally be required in such a building.
The Ponderosa Pet Resort has been in operation for 10 years and its owner is currently cooperating with the police investigation.
At the time of reporting, the fire brigade was working to reunite bereaved families with their lost pets.
Sullivan told reporters: “Quite frankly, I view my personal pet as probably my closest confidant, friend and the one that doesn’t judge, so my heart just breaks.”
At the time of reporting, no charges had been pressed.
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: William McGee, Sub-Editor: James King, Agency: Newsflash
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.