A “gentle, sweet” one-year-old girl has died hours after being stung by a scorpion that fell on her from a curtain at her grandma’s house.
The tragic incident took place in the municipality of Quirinopolis, in the west-central Brazilian state of Goias, on the afternoon of 24th October.
The girl, who was one year and 10 months old, was at her maternal grandmother’s house when the scorpion fell on her from a curtain.
Her paternal grandmother, nurse Luci Vilela, told local media that the girl told her mother about the arachnid, screamed, and was immediately taken to hospital.
She said: “Everything happened very quickly. They killed the animal, they took her to a hospital in Quirinopolis, then they took her to Goiania. When she got there, she was in a very bad way. She was intubated straight away and I believe she died in under two hours.”
The young girl’s funeral took place at 4pm on 25th October in the nearby municipality of Paranaiguara, where her family lives.
The family is inconsolable, according to Ms Vilela, who said of her granddaughter: “She was an angel. She was gentle, sweet, charismatic. Another little star that will shine up there with the Lord.”
The number of accidents involving scorpions has almost quadrupled in Brazil over the past decade – from 40,287 in 2008 to 156,833 in 2018. They are believed to be on the rise because of devastation to their natural habitat forcing them more into built-up areas.
Although no one was at fault, Ms Vilela commented: “Maybe it will serve as a warning to other families.”
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: William McGee, Sub-Editor: Joseph Golder, Agency: Newsflash
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.