This is the moment brain surgeons use their mobile phones as torches while removing a tumour after the lights failed during a power cut.
The incident was filmed at the Hospital Barros Luco Trudeau in the commune of San Miguel in the central Chilean province of Santiago, and the footage was later shared on Facebook where it has been viewed 412,000 times.
It was reported that a 34-year-old patient was undergoing the brain surgery for a tumour when the video was filmed.
Video Credit: CENfirstname.lastname@example.org
Health official Arturo Zuniga told local media that the automatic system for the generators was not activated when a power cut hit the area.
He added: “The generators do work, and if the power cuts again there will not be a problem.”
Zuniga also explained that the hospital facilities are in the process of being updated, but vowed to open an investigation into the incident to provide the patient’s family with all the facts.
He said that family members were informed of the incident after the operation was finished, and also credited hospital staff for working well under difficult conditions.
Video Credit: CEN
The patient’s sister Paulina claimed that he had to undergo another operation several days later after suffering a haemorrhage, according to local media.
Reports said he is still being treated in the intensive care unit.
Meanwhile, the team of neurosurgeons have reportedly refused to carry out any more operations until the minimum standards are guaranteed by the hospital.
Local media said the 34-year-old patient’s family are planning on suing the hospital.
The investigation is ongoing.
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.