Woman Allergic To Antibiotics Left Blind And Permanently Scarred After MixUp

These images show how the skin of a young woman flaked off and she went blind after accidentally being given antibiotics in hospital despite warning them that she was allergic.

Cilem Kelleci, 31, went to the Gazi State Hospital in Ilkadim district of the Turkish city of Samsun complaining of a urinary tract infection in February last year.

She made it clear to doctors that she was allergic to antibiotics, but said that they gave her an antibiotic treatment anyway.

A short while later she was unable to see and felt huge lumps of skin falling off her body as a result of an allergic reaction that almost killed her.

She said: “At one point, they told me that they were going to have to remove my right eye.”

She was then transferred to a private hospital where she has been told they need TRY 92,000 (GBP 9,100) to save her right eye and that if she leaves it too long it will be too late. She currently has only 20% usage of her left eye.

She added: “I am 31-years-old and I’m terrified that I will become a prisoner of the darkness.”

The last 10 months have been a nightmare for her, and she has been told that every day that goes past without treatment will make it more likely that her sight will never be regained.

They are planning to sue the hospital, but say that they can not wait until the outcome because even if they get the money it may well be too late.

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Feza Uzay, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency:  Newsflash

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.


We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter