Tourist Stung By Scorpion That Hitched A Lift In His Luggage

A horrified backpacker was rushed to hospital after a scorpion that had hitched a lift in his luggage stung him as he relaxed back at home on his sofa.

The creepy-crawly had survived a nine-hour transcontinental flight from California to Germany unscathed.

The 32-year-old hiker felt a searing pain in the ball of his foot as he got off the sofa back home in Munich on 8th October.

He and his girlfriend had just unpacked most of their bags after the 12-day trip through California.

The couple – who believe that the beige-brown scorpion made the journey in the rolled-up tent – managed to trap it in a plastic cup.

Image shows a scorpion from California, USA, undated photo. The animal was brought to the city of Munich, Germany by a backpacking couple on Sunday evening, Oct. 9, 2022. (Berufsfeuerwehr Munchen/Newsflash)

The man – whose name was withheld under Germany’s strict privacy regulations – called an ambulance and an animal rescue organisation.

A spokesman for the city’s fire brigade – which was involved in seizing the scorpion – said on Sunday (9th October): “He is doing fine and will be discharged in the coming days.”

Firefighters transported the arachnid to a centre for reptiles.

The vast majority of scorpion species do not seriously threaten humans. Healthy adults usually do not need medical treatment after a sting.

However, around 25 species have venom powerful enough to kill a human.

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Thomas HochwarterSub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.


We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter