Surgeons Remove Toothpick From Man’s Stomach

A man who swallowed a toothpick after finishing a meal had to have an emergency op after surgeons found it embedded in his stomach.

The patient – named as Mr Li in local media in Yangzhong, Jiangsu Province, eastern China – was left in agony after the pick started to jab into his gut.

Gastric scans at the Yangzhong People’s Hospital found the three-inch toothpick lodged in his stomach.

Images of the procedure show the sharp wooden object embedded in the front wall of the patient’s stomach.

Photo shows the medical team during the examination in Yangzhong People’s Hospital in Yangzhong, Zhenjiang, China, undated. A man mistakenly swallowed a toothpick. (Yangzhong People’s Hospital/AsiaWire)

Nie Daohong, the deputy chief physician of the Yangzhong People’s Hospital, said: “When the gastroscope entered the stomach, [we] found that a foreign object about 7 cm (2,7 inches) long, similar to a toothpick, was embedded in the anterior wall of the gastric antrum.”

Dr Nie – with a team of two other surgeons – led a delicate procedure to remove the pick without causing further internal injuries.

He later revealed that he picked his teeth with the toothpick after a meal.

Apparently, Li had a habit of leaving toothpicks in his mouth after using them, an act which prompted his ordeal.

Photo shows the abdomen of the man who mistakenly swallowed a toothpick in Yangzhong, Zhenjiang, China, undated. The toothpick was about 7 cm long. (Yangzhong People’s Hospital/AsiaWire)

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Filip DzambazoskiSub-EditorMarija Stojkoska, Agency: Asia Wire Report

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

GET THE NEW STORIE ON TIME!!!!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter