New Face Of 15yo Teenager Who Looked 60

This is the stunning new look of a teenage girl whose incurable condition left her looking like a “60-year-old grandmother” before she was given a totally new face through crowdfunded plastic surgery.

The 15-year-old who goes by the name ‘Xiao Feng’ is now confident enough to share selfies on social media, something she would never have done just two months ago while suffering the effects of Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria syndrome.

The rare genetic disorder, which she inherited from her mother, manifests in symptoms similar to early ageing, leaving her with a sagging face and deep voice despite only being a teenager.

Video Credit: AsiaWire / Xiao Feng

Xiao Feng, who is from the county of Heishan in north-eastern China’s Liaoning Province, quit school because of the stigma but plans to continue receiving education when the coronavirus outbreak is over.

Images shared by the girl, who has now rediscovered her confidence, show her no longer shying away from the camera as she reveals her new face, in which she is beginning to feel more and more comfortable following her surgery in late-2019.

In one video, she records a message of support for all those affected by COVID-19 in Wuhan and the rest of the country.

Xiao Feng underwent a series of operations lasting some eight hours at Sunline Plastic Surgery Hospital in Shenyang, capital of Liaoning Province, on 29th December.

Surgeons broke and reconstructed her nose and lips to not only reverse the effects of her progeria, but also to make her look as beautiful as possible.

In a media event held on 20th January, Xiao Feng’s new face was revealed to the public, with her emotional mum and dad also present on the day.

Xiao Feng’s operations cost 500,000 RMB (55,120 GBP), but her poverty-stricken family did not have to pay a single penny towards her cosmetic treatment.

Sunline waived 70 percent of the teenager’s medical bill, while the remaining 30 percent was crowdfunded by the NGO of Chinese philanthropist Guo Mingyi, 61.

Video Credit: AsiaWire / Sunline
Archive Story: Teenage Girl Who Looked 60 Given Young Face

In early December, Xiao Feng penned a letter to Mr Guo asking for his help in treating her rare condition.

She wrote: “I want to live a normal life.

“I want to walk on the street without avoiding other people’s eye contact.

“I want to go back to school and never hear my classmates speaking about me behind my back.

“I want to study to become a doctor.

“I often dream of that day.”

Xiao Feng is still scheduled for several more minor surgeries, which her doctors say will help further “refine” her new face.

Liaoning Vocational College of Medicine has offered Xiao Feng a place in one of its medical programmes to help her fulfil her dream of becoming either a doctor or nurse.

The plastic surgery hospital announced it was also willing to waive the medical bills of Xiao Feng’s mother, whose appearance is also greatly affected by progeria, but the parent has yet to express any willingness.


To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: John FengSub-EditorJoseph Golder, Agency: Asia Wire Report

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

Signup to our Newsletter

close

Signup to our Newsletter