Man Nearly Loses Arm After Mosquito Infects Him With Flesh Eating Disease

A man has nearly lost an arm after being bitten by a mosquito that infected him with a flesh-eating disease.

The incident took place in the Chinese city of Xi’an in Shaanxi Province in central China.

After being bitten by a mosquito, the man, who has not been named, was taken to hospital where doctors said that he developed necrotising fasciitis, a rare yet serious bacterial infection that causes tissue death. It is also sometimes known as the ‘flesh-eating disease’.

Doctors quickly took the man into surgery in a bid to save his limb. The operation was a success and the man is now reportedly recovering in a stable condition.

Credit: AsiaWire
Man risked amputation after being bitten by mosquito in Xi’an, China.

One of the doctors, name not reported, explained that the disease is rare but it takes hold quickly and can lead to amputation and even death.

Mosquitoes are just vectors for the disease. People with underlying conditions such as a weakened immune system, due to ailments ranging from diabetes to cancer as well as people who regularly use intravenous drugs or abuse alcohol, are particularly at risk.

Symptoms of the disease typically include red or purple blotches on the skin, a severe pain, fever and vomiting.


To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Joseph GolderSub-EditorJoseph Golder, Agency: Asia Wire Report

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.

Signup to our Newsletter

close

Signup to our Newsletter

close

LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!

We’d love to keep you updated with our latest news 😎

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.