A nine-year-old girl has died after being stung by a scorpion in Brazil.
Stefanie Vieira de Andrade was stung by the arachnid while she was playing with her dolls at home in a rural area of the Brazilian municipality of Divino on the morning of 14th February.
Stefanie and her five-year-old brother were both being looked after by their grandmother, Imaculada do Carmo, when the accident took place.
Imaculada called the emergency services straight away, and a police car arrived at the house and rushed the victim to the local intensive care unit where she arrived at around 8.30am.
After being medicated, she was transferred to another hospital where she was administered anti-scorpion venom serum and monitored before she passed away at around 2pm.
The local authorities advised the general population to take care during the summer months from December to March, when hotter temperatures and greater humidity mean scorpions are more commonly found.
According to the Ministry of Health, over 156,000 cases of scorpion envenomation were reported in Brazil in 2019, 169 of them fatal.
Stefanie was buried at a cemetery in Divino.
To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: William McGee, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash
The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.