Four Month Old Kitten Saves Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A family of four was rescued from certain death by carbon monoxide poisoning after a newly acquired four month old kitten named Thor woke them up in the middle of the night.

The kitten named Thor has been hailed a hero after it saved the Stamper family from the city of Farmington in Oakland, Michigan from carbon monoxide poisoning after they suffered a power outage during a storm.

This caused the garage door to close while a portable generator was running on 30th August, according to local media reports.

This exposed the tight knit family of four, made up of Heidi and Ronald Stamper along with their children Paige, 13, and Quinn, 11, to a lethal gas while they sleeping.

Ronald Stamper poses with his daughter, Paige, 13, and his son, Quinn, 11, in an undated photo.

The statement added: “Carbon monoxide is tasteless, colourless, odourless, and impossible for human senses to detect.

“It builds up quickly and lingers for hours, even after generators are turned off.”

Thor then woke Heidi up with loud cries and was noticeably sick, according to a statement Newsflash obtained from the City of Farmington Hills Municipal Government.

Heidi proceeded to take Thor outside and saw that his condition improved but the mother of two reportedly fainted when she brought him back inside.

Thor continued to cry which woke up Quinn and Paige, who were able to drag their “semi conscious” parents out of the house, according to reports.

The entire family survived after the Farmington Hills Fire Department arrived at the scene and took them to a local hospital.

Heidi and her two children were flown to the Promedica Hospital in Toledo for specialised care.

Heidi Marie poses in an undated photo.
(Heidi Marie/Newsflash)

Fire Chief Jon Unruh added: “The Fire Department reminds everyone that generators should NEVER be used inside homes, garages, basements, sheds or any other enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.

“In this case, using a portable generator in an enclosed garage almost had deadly consequences.”

Officials went on to state that both the family and their neighbours have installed carbon monoxide alarms in their residences since the almost deathly incident.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the Stamper family to help them cover their medical fees and can be found at:

To find out more about the author, editor or agency that supplied this story – please click below.
Story By: Alice Amelia ThomasSub-Editor: Michael Leidig, Agency: Newsflash

The Ananova page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.


We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Signup to our Newsletter